Sunday, February 13, 2011
12:53 AM
I've been thinking about updating this blog for some time, because uh it has not been updated for some time. Why it took some time is because I only have weekends to blog (I hate typing on my phone so blogging in camp is almost never going to happen), I am not free on every weekend, and updating blog-----spot.blogspot.com is more important than updating 4i-monster.blogspot.com (in case you think I am evil, compare me to the rest of the owners of this blog :D)
I also need to think of a good topic to write on, because how I blog and 15 and how I blog at 13 days away from 20 years old is vastly different. A joke would suffice then. Now, I can't even remember when was the last time I actively searched for internet jokes.
I guess let's look back at all the 4i outings we went for since the last day of school. We had a 4i chalet.

It is the first, and presumebly the last time that a 4i gathering will have such a huge attendance.
Well, then it was commencement day, and uh a trip to Dora's house followed by go changi airport send of some PRC day.

The last time we'll be wearing Junior High uniform
We had a 4i xmas dinner in 2007

Gel and I have been actively trying to look for dining places with round tables. I mean, I could barely see Celine, let alone talk to her
In 2008, we had a CNY meet up after the school celebration. I can't find photos for it ): I could barely remember it
We had what would also be our first and last skating experience for 4i in June.

I think that's it for 2008? I really can't remember much things I did with 4i in 2008. Oh there was a meet your sec 4 class in the morning initiative once.
In 2009, we had a start of the year meet up.

It is the last time I will be the late for a 4i outing :D Well unless the outing planner plans it such that it clashes with more important stuff I have to handle.
We had a tuan bai at Mr Yap's house.

And it was the last time Jia Hui planned a 4i outing if memory serves.
Then we battled with A'levels. Then we had our third 4i chalet.

And we played chubby bunny (which should rightfully be this lunar year's game) and gave Gel a medal.
In 2010, we had a CNY dinner/last 4i meal before guys go tekong.

We had some eat dinner and go mind cafe thing at Clarke Quay in April.

See the bald heads
And well, an X-mas meet up in December

In 2011, we had another CNY dinner meet-up. Unfortunately the group photo is with Yun Jing so no photo here.
Well the one who made most of it possible:

And then there's also me I guess

Planning class outings are never easy, and it gets harder with time. As everyone develops their own lives and have their own obligations to fuifil, it is getting near impossible to find a common time for everyone to meet. And then there's different interests for everyone. How does one find an activity that can be enjoyed by 10+ people?
I guess it is important to reflect on why I do what I do, why do I continually offer to help plan class outings (and get to do one for myself)? Because getting everyone to want to come is hard, and thinking of what to do is hard too.
I guess my answer would be that the reward comes from the meeting up, and what people take away with afterwards. A renewal of the class identity? The feeling of the class spirit? The happiness from meeting your old classmate, the people who helped shaped your lives?I don't know, what people choose to take away is not something I think about and control. For me I guess I take away all that. And then there's some joy in seeing people meet up, seeing them enjoy themselves. It makes one feel good I geuss. And of course I enjoy myself :D
Probably also because I don't want to see the class identity gone with time, the class spirit withering into nothing as we neglect to maintain what we built up in the two years that we are together. For a class that has the bond that wow even teachers that probably has seen a lot of bonded class, I think losing that bond will be quite a waste.
So well, I guess I'll wish that 4i gatherings will still go on, and more people will come. Maybe someday all 34 of us will come back together, but for now I guess if 20 of us were together, it will already be quite shocking.
And well, some other wishes which I shall compile on a wishlist:
1) 4i class chalet 2011 :D Please support me and Gel when we decide to plan this. You can support us by sms-ing "Hi, I am interested to come for 4i chalet. I will come no matter when is the date and will stay over. I will reach on time." when we send the sms gathering everyone for the chalet.
2) Update this blog. Hi people :D You can update this blog too. All you need to do is to log in with your blogger account, access the 4i blog and then click 'create new post'. If you cannot access this blog, tell me and I will invite you in.
3) Wei Liang to do a short film which must send across the idea that Gel and I are great because we plan so many class outings, and that he is eternally grateful and thankful to us.
CS